The Representative of German Industry and Trade (RGIT) is the liaison office of the Federation of German Industries (BDI) and the Association of German Chambers of Commerce and Industry (DIHK) in Washington, DC. It is supported by Germany’s Federal Ministry of Economics and Energy.
RGIT represents the interests of the German business community to the U.S. Administration, the Congress and international organizations based in Washington. We report regularly on economically significant developments as well as legislative activities in the U.S.
The liaison office maintains registrations under both the Foreign Agents Registration Act and the Lobby Disclosure Act.
RGIT fulfills a vital role on behalf of German industry by:
- Representing the interests of the German business community before all branches of the federal government, as well as before international organizations such as the World Bank and IMF, by presenting position papers, statements, and briefs, and by direct advocacy;
- Reporting regularly to our principals on developments relating to political and economic issues, as well as on legislative activities in the U.S., and providing our partners in the United States with information on German business;
- Hosting events and briefings on a range of trade and investment related issues throughout the year, and fostering an exchange of information for experts in fields ranging from transatlantic trade to economic and industrial policy;
- Organizing trade missions, offering networking opportunities, and serving as a focal point and crossroads where government, industry, academia, policy institutions and think tanks can come together to discuss matters relevant to the transatlantic community;
- Cooperating closely with the German American Chambers of Commerce (GACC) in New York, Atlanta, and Chicago, and providing information and support to the GACC network’s 2,500 member companies, thereby aiding the GACC network in fostering bilateral trade relations, improving the investment climate, and adding additional value to the consulting services the GACC network offers member companies.